Rangers F.C.

FAI Summer Soccer School

Pat Treacy, (087) 9543238.

23th to 27th July 2018

20 November 2011
Division One
Clodiagh Rangers
Ailbe O'Donohue
Gary Hogan
Colm Larkin
In inclement weather conditions, Clodiagh failed to impose themselves on proceedings and spent most of the opening fifteen minutes in their own half with the home defence just about doing enough to keep Borrisokane scoreless.

Gradually Clodiagh Rangers clawed their way into the contest and in truth were good value for the lead goal when it arrived through Ailbe O'Donohue. Denis McCullagh played a slide rule pass from centre field to Shane O'Dwyer in the inside left channel and when the Borrisokane keeper could only parry his left foot strike, Ailbe O'Donohue gleefully slotted the ball home into the empty net.

Indeed the front man might have doubled his tally moments later when Liam McCullagh combined with Barry O'Loughlin on the left to whip an enticing ball across the face of the goal which O'Donoghue narrowly missed with a diving header. Borrisokane were a constant threat at the other end of the pitch, and in particular from set pieces, and almost got back on level terms on the half hour mark from a corner with the ball cleared off the line twice in quick succession, first from Paul English and next from Matt McCullagh.

Clodiagh had a glorious chance to double the lead ten minutes before the break when Liam McCullagh got on the end of a John O'Dwyer cross, but his scuffed effort on target was cleared off the line by the Borrisokane full back.

The final piece of action of the half took place in the Clodiagh penalty box, when the referee awarded an indirect freekick for a raised foot in the box. The Clodiagh wall however did it's job and the home team reached the interval with a slender one goal lead.

Clodiagh's general play was slightly improved in the second half but still they could not find a second goal that might have secured the points with a number of borderline offside decisions frustrating their efforts.

The home team paid the price for not capitalizing on earlier chances when their defense was finally breached for the first time in five matches and Borrisokane were thrown the lifeline of an equalizer.

Clodiagh introduced Paul Doyle and Michael Browne from the bench in an effort to regain the forward impetus and put the Borrisokane defence under immense pressure. Paul Doyle had a low shot fizz wide at the near post and Ailbe O'Donohue saw a header fly narrowly over the bar after a great cross by Paul English.

In their desperation to wrestle back the lead Clodiagh over-committed in attack and their misery was utterly compounded when Borrisokane snatched a lead goal with a counter-attack move down the right wing culminating in a neat side-footed finish to the bottom left corner.

With time running out Clodiagh had further chances to rescue a point but to no avail as Matt McCullagh had a header sail past the righthand post from a right wing cross and a Paul Doyle freekick ended up in the side netting.

An extremely disappointing result for Clodiagh Rangers, but they will have to pick themselves up for the trip to South Tipperary DSL outfit Bansha Celtic in the fourth round of the FAI Junior Cup next Sunday.

Adrian Cooke; Barry O'Loughlin, Matt McCullagh, James Murray, Paul English; Shane O'Dwyer, Denis McCullagh, Liam McCullagh, John O'Dwyer; Owen Shortt, Ailbe O'Donohue.
Paul Doyle, Michael Browne, Shane O'Dwyer.