Rangers F.C.

FAI Summer Soccer School

Pat Treacy, (087) 9543238.

23th to 27th July 2018

7 December 2013
Youths Cup
Nenagh Celtic
Clodiagh Rangers
Niall Grant 2
Brendan Larkin 2
Clodiagh Rangers Youths were on their travels in the NT&DL Youths Cup, and visited Division two outfit Nenagh Celtic at the VEC venue with a view to correcting a recent defeat to their hosts in the league.

The visitors had a number of enforced changes throughout the team but despite this started the brightest and were unlucky to see efforts from both Brendan Larkin and Niall Grant go wide of the target.

Clodiagh Rangers were playing some flowing football with both wide men, Dylan Greene and Paul Kennedy causing headaches for the home defence. The visitors were first to score when, man of the match, Michael Connors whipped in a pin point cross to Niall Grant who finished from the edge of the area with measured effort which found the bottom left hand corner.

Clodiagh Rangers pushed on looking for a second and again were unlucky when Larkin's overhead effort went narrowly wide of top corner. Clodiagh Rangers paid the price for some hesitant play in the middle of the park, which allowed Nenagh Celtic to push forward and were awarded a penalty for a handball infringement.

Nenagh Celtic scored from the spot at the second time of asking after the original effort, which was blazed over the bar, was retaken on order of the match official for player encroachment.

The home team goalkeeper was in great form throughout the fixture and saved well from a Toby Clancy header at the end of the first half. Both sides upped the ante in the second half and produced an entertaining forty-five minutes.

Michael Connors impressed with his driving runs and well placed passes throughout. Clodiagh Rangers were awarded a free on the left hand touchline after Greene was deemed to have been fouled. From the resultant free, Larkin rose highest to meet Enda Heffernan's well placed cross to head back across goal in to far top corner.

This saw a bright spell of play from Clodiagh Rangers, which forced the home team goalkeeper to save acrobatically from a Larkin free kick and header.

Spurred on by their custodians performance, Nenagh Celtic pushed on and found themselves level when their centre forward latched onto a long range pass and rammed home from inside the area.

Again, Clodiagh Rangers had to dig deep and had Grant to thank for gambling inside the area and found himself free to slot home from close range after getting on the end of a Carroll pass.

Nenagh Celtic committed numbers forward with time running out and paid the price when again, Carroll played the ball over the top and found Larkin in space who capped another impressive performance with a cool finish.

The hosts continued to push and made the final few minutes very difficult after scrambling home from close range after some indecisiveness in the Clodiagh Rangers rear guard. Nenagh Celtic had a number of opportunities in the dying moments, but the Clodiagh Rangers defence, ably marshalled by Toby Clancy and captain Jack Butler stood firm to see the Drombane outfit through to the second round.
Loughlin Ryan, Aidan Carroll, Enda Heffernan, Jack Butler, Toby Clancy, Michael Connors, Robbie Long, Dylan Greene, Paul Kennedy, Niall Grant, Brendan Larkin.
Rory Purcell, Dean Carew, Conor Ryan.